So you think you've got what it takes to be a racecar driver?
Dodge fired the latest salvo in the ultimate game of automotive one-upmanship, as it made history on Sept. 14, 2011. Veteran GT driver Dominik Farnbacher piloted a street-legal, 600-horsepower 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR to new lap record of 7:12.13 at famed 12.9-mile Nürburgring Nordschleife. (See video after jump.)
"We're extremely proud to set the lap record for a second time at the famed Nürburgring Nordschleife," said Ralph Gilles, President and CEO - SRT Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. "Our team returned to Germany knowing we'd left some time on the track when we set our first lap record, so this effort shows the incredible depth and capability the Viper ACR has by running a full 10 seconds faster than we did in 2008."
The street-legal Viper ACR is factory-equipped and tuned for outstanding track performance with coil-over racing dampers that are adjustable for both damping and ride height. The shocks are two-way factory adjustable without removing the wheels - a timesaver at any track configuration - and they include a large range for compression and rebound adjustment. Aerodynamics are also adjustable via carbon-fiber rear wing with seven-position stanchions and an adjustable front splitter.
The Viper ACR holds benchmark lap times at the following road courses:
- Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, Ill. 2:37.70
- Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Buttonwillow, Calif. 1:55.70
- Gingerman Raceway (1.88-mile original course), South Haven, Mich. 1:26.70
- Grattan Raceway, Belding, Mich. 1:22.70
- Laguna Seca Raceway, Salinas, Calif. 1:33.90
- Miller Motorsport Park (3.05-mile outer loop), Tooele, Utah 1:59.90
- Monticello Motor Club, Monticello, N.Y. 2:26.37
- MotorSport Ranch (3.1-mile full course), Cresson, Texas 2:19.00
- Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, Ohio 1:08.90
- New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, N.J. 1:28.08
- No Problem Raceway, Belle Rose, La. 1:16.90
- Nürburgring Nordschleife, Nürburg, Germany 7:12.13
- Putnam Park, Mount Meridian, Ind. 1:12.60
- Sebring Full Course, Sebring, Fla. 2:19.47
- Spring Mountain (2.2-mile layout), Pahrump, Nev. 1:45.40
- Texas World Speedway, College Station, Texas 1:47.56
- Top Gear USA (El Toro), Irvine, Calif. 1:22.00
- Virginia International Raceway (3.27-mile full course), Alton, Va. 2:00.63
- Willow Springs Raceway, Rosamond, Calif. 1:26.00
By the way, notice that Dominik Farnbacher is actually shifting gears and operating a clutch, no fancy paddle shifters here. Three cheers for the red, white and blue!
« Last Post
Next Post »
View all Posts from this Blog