Beginning with the November 1935 event, the Chicago Auto Show moved from the Coliseum to the International Amphitheatre, 43rd and Halsted Ave. The Amphitheatre offered 255,000 square feet of space, compared to 58,000 at Coliseum. Nearly 300 models of 29 makes were on display, including motor coaches and trailers. Cord makes a comeback with radical style featuring coffin nose and hidden headlights. The new Studebaker is called Dictator. On the right, Buick’s seven word advertisement ran in area newspapers during the 1936 Chicago Auto Show.
Beginning with the November 1935 event for the 1936 models, the Chicago Auto Show moved from the Coliseum to the International Amphitheatre. Located on Halsted at 43rd Street, the new exposition center offered free outdoor parking for 8,000 vehicles and 255,000 square feet of floor space versus 58,000 at the Coliseum. It was used through 1960, then the show was moved to the original McCormick Place in 1961. After a 1967 fire destroyed McCormick Place, the Amphitheatre was used again from 1967-70. The Amphitheatre offered the advantage of a 238 x 150 feet central arena on the main level for dramatic presentations each afternoon and evening during the show. A pre-show artist rendering is for the 'Hall of Stars' revue that was decorated in rich blue and silver colors.
Line drawing shows the space layout inside the International Amphitheatre for the 1936 Chicago Auto Show. This marks the first year the motorcar show was held at the Amphitheatre. Filling both first and second levels, there was a total of 255,000 square feet of floor space available. On the main floor were station wagons, trucks, trailers, accessories, and in the center arena a free, twice daily stage show. The numerals 1 through 21 in the photo indicate spaces allotted to brand names gone but not forgotten; Auburn (space #9), Pierce Arrow (13), Graham-Paige (15), Packard (18) and DeSoto (21).
A new Plymouth four-door sedan is being introduced to the crowds assembled in the center arena of the International Amphitheatre during the 1936 Chicago Auto Show. The car sat on a rotating stage and was illuminated by large star-shaped lamps hung from the ceiling. This was the first auto show in the Amphitheatre, which provided 255,000 square feet of exhibit space versus 58,000 in the old Coliseum. During the nine day run, a total of 225,000 visitors viewed the 300 models of 29 makes, including trailers and motor homes.
Like a barbecue grill rotisserie, a full-size Hudson automobile was setup so that the entire vehicle would slowly spin to reveal all sides, including the undercarriage. It was a big attraction during the 1936 Chicago Auto Show.
People attending the 1936 Chicago Auto Show were among the first to view the sensational front-wheel drive Cord 810. Manufactured by the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Corp., the sleek Cord featured hidden headlights, pontoon fenders and wraparound ‘coffin-nose’ grille.
About 300 models of 29 makes were on display during the 1936 show, including this luxurious Duesenberg roadster. Nearby, was the radically styled, coffin nose Cord which was introduced at the Chicago Auto Show. Cadillac also debuted the medium priced Series 60.
Crowds peak into the engine compartment of the brand new Zephyr four-door sedan during the 1936 Chicago Auto Show. This was Lincoln’s entry-level line of luxury cars, and along with modern, aerodynamic styling, Zephyr featured a compact 100 horsepower V-12 engine.
A roped-off Studebaker featured chrome-trimmed wheels, wide white wall tires, a $995 price tag and billed as, "America's best-looking business coupe."
A crowd milling through the Cadillac and LaSalle exhibit during the 1936 auto show, paused to pose for the camera.
There were two shows held in 1935. First was in February for 1935 vehicles and the second in November for 1936 models. Standing next to the imposing 1936 Pierce-Arrow rumble seat convertible roadster was one of the 11 Nationality Queens. Each of these ladies dressed in their ancestral costumes and appeared during the twice-daily stage show and at various manufacturers’ exhibits.
Lovely lady posed along side a 1936 Buick four-passenger convertible coupe at the 36th annual Chicago Auto Show, held Nov.16-23, 1935. Buick offered the convertible in both the Century and Special model lineups. Power was supplied by a Buick straight eight cylinder engine.
Two female show attendants are seen with a 1936 Packard 8 convertible coupe during the 36th annual Chicago Auto Show held Nov. 16-23, 1935.