Since the Coliseum was bursting with vehicles during the 1918 Chicago Auto Show, some manufacturers had to displayed their wares at nearby venues, including these in the Elizabethan room of the Congress Hotel. Salons became increasingly popular during the 1920s and 1930s to hold the overflow.
A newspaper advertisement from 1918 announced that the Stanley Steamer - in its 22nd year - would be located in Space E5 inside the Regiment Armory building during the Chicago Auto Show. The Armory was located on the Northwest corner of Michigan Avenue and 16th Street, and was used to hold the overflow of automotive companies that displayed at the annual Midwest exhibition. Normally the Armory served as the home to the Illinois National Guard.