2012 Chicago Auto Show Launches New Logo and Website
When you go about changing almost anything that involves a more-than-century-old tradition, you don't take it lightly. Such was the case when the directors of the Chicago Automobile Trade Association (CATA), producer of the famed Chicago Auto Show, asked for a freshening of the exposition's logo.
"First, we wanted the new logo to reflect our city and its heritage," said Steve Foley Jr, chairman of the 2012 auto show, produced by the CATA since 1935. "As we looked through icons that have displayed longevity, they certainly reflected the times in which they were created. It was because of that longevity that the artists were directed to embrace a Chicago icon that contained visual references to truly important events in our city's past. What could better exemplify that than by embracing the unmistakable flag of the City of Chicago?
"Each of the stars on the flag of Chicago stands for a particular event," noted Foley, "and while we certainly think the auto show might warrant a fifth star, we'll take our moment of 'sparkle' every February when McCormick Place fills on a daily basis to present the best auto show anywhere."
The show's new logo embraces both the city and the auto show. It's futuristic, yet demonstrates the movement that is shared by both the city and the show. But most of all, the new logo easily and instantly identifies itself as automotive and a part of Chicago.
"Chicago is well-known as the nation's most influential consumer auto show," commented Dave Sloan, the show's general manager and president of the CATA. "We feel like this new look puts the proper artistic touch on a show that consumers from around Chicagoland-and around the world-will instantly embrace."
New Website Launched
And in anticipation of the 2012 show and the new logo's first public exposure, the Chicago Auto Show launched a completely redesigned and updated website. The new ChicagoAutoShow.com site offers visitors an interactive look at the nation's largest auto show and provides an unequalled virtual auto show experience.
"The nation's largest show deserves a website that's also best in class. I am proud that the 2012 Chicago Auto Show website brings the auto-show experience to life for virtual visitors," said Mike Ettleson, co-chairman of the 2012 event and current chairman of the CATA. "Now, people around the globe will experience interactive features and seamless social media integration that help make us not only the nation's biggest, but also the most effective auto show."
In addition to providing staple information such as directions, show times, online tickets and show-floor maps, www.ChicagoAutoShow.com raises the ante by adding daily image galleries, a complete listing of vehicles on display and integrated content from Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. Together, these elements engage consumers on a year-round basis.
"We're most proud of our Chicago Auto Show History and Vehicles on Display sections," said Ettleson. "There's no other show in North America that has recorded its history like Chicago. Web visitors can take a 'virtual tour' through our history from 1901 to the present and get information and photos about any car on the show floor."
The Vehicles on Display section returns with real-time inventory from Chicagoland new-car dealers provided by DriveChicago.com. This allows site visitors to search through nearly 40,000 new cars directly on ChicagoAutoShow.com as they are browsing the section. DriveChicago.com is the largest local listing of new and used cars in Chicagoland and is owned and operated by the CATA.
Visitors to the 2012 Chicago Auto Show site are treated to daily polls, informative blog posts, the latest news and an extensive multimedia section. Of course, those looking forward to the 2012 show can also purchase tickets online and plan travel routes, all on the newly updated site.
Features of ChicagoAutoShow.com include:
- About the Show-Including directions, show dates and times, interactive displays, appearances, and more.
- First Look for Charity-Online home for the show's signature charity fundraiser, visitors can find out more about the event, purchase tickets and even find discounts on tuxedo rentals.
- Multimedia-For the Web junkie, we offer Web walks, photo galleries, videos, webcams and a lively and sometimes irreverent blog.
- Vehicles on Display-The most comprehensive listing of the new 2012 and 2013 models, concept cars, and new-product reveals anywhere.
- Show History-The Chicago Auto Show from 1901 to the present in fun and informative picture and caption format.
- First Look for Charity, Media, Sponsor and Exhibitor Microsites-Specific mini-websites for visitors to our exclusive First Look for Charity preview event and members of the media, potential sponsors and exhibitors at the 2012 Chicago Auto Show.
Smartphone users will appreciate the ongoing development of the Chicago Auto Show's mobile website, ChicagoAutoShow.com/mobile. Using any Web-enabled phone, attendees can purchase tickets, get directions, keep track of events and appearances and read news, blog and vehicle postings. New on the mobile site for 2012 is a virtual guided tour that helps visitors identify the key elements of each exhibit.
ChicagoAutoShow.com continues its long relationship with Chicago-based Web developer Americaneagle.com.
"We are proud to contribute to the success of the Chicago Auto Show site throughout the years," said Americaneagle.com President Michael Svanascini. "Visitors to the new ChicagoAutoShow.com can expect a refreshed and modernized design as well as dynamic features that make exploring the site easier and more engaging."
The website can be found at www.ChicagoAutoShow.com. The 2012 Chicago Auto Show will be open to the public February 10-19, 2012.
About the Chicago Auto Show: The Chicago Auto Show is the largest on the continent, spanning over one million square feet of production, concept, and exotic vehicle exhibit space. In addition to hosting multiple world and North American vehicle debuts, the Chicago Auto Show's First Look for Charity raises nearly $2 million annually for 18 worthy Chicago organizations in a single night. The 2012 public show will be held from February 10 - February 19, 2012. For more information, visit www.chicagoautoshow.com or www.facebook.com/chicagoautoshow.
About the Chicago Auto Trade Association:
- Founded in 1904, the Chicago Automobile Trade Association (CATA) is the nation's oldest and largest metropolitan dealer organization. It is comprised of approximately 400 franchised new-car dealers and an additional 150 allied members. The group's dealer members employ approximately 19,000 people in the metropolitan area.
- CATA dealerships contribute to the state, county and city tax base with gross receipts of approximately $12.5 billion per dealership in new- and used-cars, parts and service. The extended impact of tax base contribution through CATA dealership employees make this group one of the largest and most influential tax constituencies in the city and state.
- The CATA's mission is to promote and maintain honesty and dependability; employ truth and accuracy in dealer advertising; strive to constantly improve business methods and ethics; and maintain fair competition to serve both dealer and customer.
- The association has produced the world famous Chicago Auto Show since 1935.
Director of Communications
Chicago Automobile Trade Association
Chicago Auto Show
High Resolution 2012 Chicago Auto Show Logo
Back to News